Monday, April 5, 2010

Paying It Backward: Why The Church Doesn't Have Window Seats

A lover of liberation theology, I love when The Church tackles the issues that have plagued our communities for decades and continue to impede on it. Christ challenged world systems, the status quo and commissioned us to do the same. Inherent, also, in this mandate was a commitment to holiness, righteousness and accountability. It is our responsibility to esteem each other in the faith, speak the truth in love and not deviate from His standard of living. To encourage us in doing so, many turn (and rightfully so) to The Church. It is there, many begin to understand just how their steps are ordered. The Church has a responsibility to assist its members (and those who may never join) in learning how to rightfully divide the word of truth. Yet, when truth is not spoken in The Church, adhering to this mandate can become problematic.



A little over a week ago, Erykah Badu released her video for her latest single “Window Seat”. In it, she walks down Dealy Plaza in Dallas, Texas (the same route President John Kennedy took before his assassination) and strips nude. On her back is written the word “Evolve”. When she gets to the place where President Kennedy was assassinated, she is completely naked and symbolically shot down. Erykah stated that her video was meant to challenge Groupthink Theory, which asserts that individuals will surrender their identity to conform to the group’s beliefs and agenda. Those beliefs and agenda are not necessarily in the group’s best interest but enable to it to reach an unanimous decision and (possibly) further one or more group members’ personal agendas. As a Sociologist, I think Groupthink Theories is one of the accurate and consistent theories available and can be seen everywhere: from family, to education and even The Church. Groupthink is damaging because it does not allow for the beauty of individuality to inform processes for the better. So, did I understand Ms. Badu’s “message” in the video? Yep. I got it.


However, I am not naïve. Erykah Badu intentionally releasing this video days before her album hit stores was one part marketing strategy. In a time where the music industry is suffering and every little bit helps Soundscan and bank accounts, I doubt she didn’t think all this talk about the video would generate buzz around the album and translate into more sales. However, despite recognizing how much of a marketing genius she was for the timing of “Window Seat”, I can’t help but look at the social irresponsibility of it all. Do I think that same message could have been conveyed differently? Yes. Does it mean the message didn't get across? Nope. We got it. But it was, using the Dr. Huxtable’s analogy when Vanessa brought Dabnus Brickey home, the difference between the porterhouse being one a plate or garbage can lid. Following her tweets, a few interviews and blog posts, I don't even believe she's at all comfortable with the delivery because she's trying too hard to sell and justify it. It is what it is and let it be. I do feel she was negligent for "evolving" with kids walking down the street with their parents though. She even tweeted she hoped the kids would not be too traumatized by what they saw. Have we gotten so consumed with our own desire for pseudo freedom that we force others to engage in it with us? How do we reconcile the images we provide our children? No, “Window Seat” was not “Tip Drill 2.0” but how do we explain the difference? Do our daughters have to remove their clothes, for any reason and at any time, to assert to the world that they are free? Of course not. I love Erykah Badu. To this day, I still bump Mama’s Gun and “Honey” will forever be my “It’s finally summer” anthem. However, I can’t ride with Badu on this one. She was wrong…


…and apparently criminal. The Dallas Police Department has charged Erykah Badu with disorderly conduct and she was levied a fine of $500. I thought it seemed fair. She broke the law and should pay the consequences. Imagine my surprise when I see a tweet from a popular pastor to Ms. Badu on Sunday (April 4) afternoon stating his church agreed to pay her fine. The pastor tweeted earlier that he’d be preaching about her video. I was excited; I hope that it would speak truth in love and encourage all Believers to not look to worldly outlets to embrace our individuality. When he said his church was going to pay her fine, I got confused. Through Twitter, I asked him why. He responded and told me to look at the sermon on YouTube to understand. I did. I watched all five videos. I still don’t understand.


Now I have followed this pastor’s ministry down through the years. He preached a sermon that got me through undergrad and just a few years ago, a sermon of his ushered in a defining moment for me. I’ve purchased his books and several sermons so I am no stranger to having a window seat (pun intended) to his ministry. I’ve supported him. Still, this sermon hurt as much as it offended. Now, given the start of the first video I can't tell you the text his sermon came from, though he did reference scripture. However, I can tell you that he begins by asserting that because we have embraced European standards and embrace an enslaved mentality, we reject images of Black beauty. He spoke to the oppression of African American women, not only in the communities but in the Church and that Erykah’s walk down Dealy Plaza was one in which she fully embraced being made in the image and likeness of God and ignored those who jeered. He spoke of the misogynistic images of women purported by entertainment and the media and did not understand how we could sway to the likes of Foxy Brown, Lil Kim and Trina but condemn Ms. Badu for “Window Seat”. While there were numerous points in his sermon that made me pause and cringe (I will never get/accept/cosign on that crucifixion analogy), the pastor posed a somewhat rhetorical question to those who did not approve of the video. He asked how can you think some is vulgar that reflects and is a mirrored image of what you look like and who you are?


While I understand the need to embrace and believe in who you are, I also understand that, as Believers, God has given us a blueprint in doing so. Do I want my daughter to be self assured? Of course. But do I want her to believe the only she can become that is by tossing her bra by the manhole? Of course not. I want her to be confident in the fact that she’s been transformed because her mind is renewed. She recognized that when she set her mind on things above and began secure in God’s plan for her, she didn’t need to make outward statements because her inward commitment manifested itself.


He stated that if this had been a White artist, agencies would have stepped up to her defense. He offered to pay her $500 fine because he said someone needed to stand with Erykah and asked the question “How many people are willing to pay your penalty?” I agreed, in part. I do think The Church needs to extend its love to Erykah but in the same manner that Jesus extended it to the woman who was caught in the act of adultery. After Jesus convicted the angry mob to realize their own sin and they walked away without stoning her, Jesus asked her where her accusers had gone and was there anyone there to condemn her. When she responded that there was no one, Jesus told her He wouldn’t condemn her either. And then He told her to “go and sin no more”. Jesus stood with her even while telling her that what she did was wrong. We need that kind of message. No amount of self assurance can excuse righteousness. And we certainly shouldn’t be paying for it. I would hope that The Church would see the importance and more empowering message in investing an additional $500 in programs that teach our children than paying the fine of someone who traumatizes them. Can we help pay the penalties of those who can’t afford to pay their own? If The Church is willing to pay the fines of a celebrity, the parking tickets of a college sophomore should be considered benevolence, as well.


We are unfortunately living in a time when truth is considered treason. I don’t want my sin to be celebrated. I want to be challenged to live holy. I love my dear sister Erykah and she had the *right* to make that video (and suffer the legal and social consequences). But who will be brave enough to remind her that just because you can do something doesn’t mean that you should? Who will, in love, tell her that her freedom doesn’t need to be confirmed if she’s been freed by the Son? Who, without fear, will say to her that if she commits to dying daily, she won’t need a window seat because she’ll be living in peace and overflow? Who will say to our leadership that we want more than catch phrases to help get us free? Who will encourage them to be more concerned with purity than popularity? Who will ask them to preach the absolute Word of God?


I believe in accountability. Inherent in accountability should be correction and love. Accountability without correction is passivity and accountability without love is hypocrisy. I want God’s best for all of us. But that will take a commitment to living out His mandates, walking in His truth, abiding in His love. We can’t do that if we’re bound to false senses of freedom and suspect doctrine.


Get free…in Him.


…and walk where you want- covered by His grace, favor, liberty, wisdom…and any other freedom garment available at Macy’s.






@CMB, 2010

1 comment:

  1. @CMB--Preach! Teach! Break it down! Ann was right, you did break this thing down. Now I wrote some thoughts about the whole Window Seat situation. I didnt see it quite like JB, but very similar. But it's been nagging at me, somewhat. I was right and wrong as well.
    Now, Im old enough to be your mom, I have a son your age, but you took me to school on this one. Thank you and blessings--You're going on my blogroll! The title of your post teaches--in and of itself! Please visit me at http://wrestlegod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete