Monday, April 5, 2010

Nathan K(NOW)ledge

I knew what God would call me to do would be as unique and unreserved as I am. I figured it would utilize my outgoing nature and ability to not back down from anyone or anything as its fuel. As I thought about my purpose, when I was younger, I assumed I would be a successful attorney fighting for justice and equality, taking down corrupt judges and prosecutors. As I got older, I began to see His plan for me evolve into the more academic arena: equipping the next generation of leaders. But as I began to mature in Him (big difference), I recognized that my purpose included a great deal of all what I previously thought and then some.



Three times in my life (that I can remember), specifically recently, I’ve been referred to as a “Nathan” for this time. Once, a friend had been praying for me and called me with that revelation. Next, I had a dream in which a man I’d never seen before told me I was to the Church what Nathan was to David. Lastly, a lady at my favorite local Christian bookstore told me that “Boaz” would have no problem handling my “Nathan” because, serving in that role, is where he found and learned the most about me. (That last one threw me for a loop and I’m still, as my prayerful friend would say, “unpacking” it.)


My curiosity and desire to be educated in all things won me over and began to research Nathan and share my experiences about him (and me) with others. For so long, I only knew Nathan as the one God sent to rebuke David for the Bathsheba fiasco (2 Samuel 12), but Nathan had done so much more. God used Nathan to tell David it was time to build the temple (2 Samuel 7) and warn him of a plot to overthrow his rule (1 Kings 1). I realized that because Nathan had earned David’s respect and trust, he was able to hold David accountable. Accountability. That is what made their relationship so effective. Though Nathan was a prophet, he did not mind serving under David because he knew that his king submitted to a higher authority. And David didn’t mind heeding to the correction of Nathan because he knew that higher authority was at work in him and informed every word he uttered. They trusted the hearts of one another and believed their intentions were to solely do the will of God.


As I began to understand Nathan and David’s relationship better, my purpose became much clearer. If The Church is David and I am Nathan, we were to hold each other accountable. While The Church (specifically its leadership) was what I was to submit to, I also have a responsibility to speak, to it, the truth in love. We should appreciate a great level of respect for each other and reciprocity, considering I’m its daughter- having been committed to its teaching and necessity since birth. Accepting my call would not be challenging. Unfortunately, walking in it and being respected while doing so would be….

No comments:

Post a Comment