Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Westboro Baptist Church Needs What Would Jesus Do Bracelets

If you don’t see me in church on Sunday, I’m on a very special assignment. I’m going to give the members of Westboro Baptist Church a few of my old “What Would Jesus Do?” bracelets. I had a lot of them- almost one to match every outfit so I’ll have enough to go around. Because they need them.

No, seriously. They do.

Last week, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Westboro Baptist Church, stating it was not liable for its protest at the funeral of a soldier killed in Iraq in 2006. The father of that soldier sued the church and initially won. The Supreme Court’s decision protects Westboro’s right to free speech, no matter how deplorable it may be. And it is.

I always thought Fred Phelps and his congregation were some of the biggest yahoos to ever name the name of Christ. But then I learned the truth: Westboro Baptist is, for the most part, comprised of Phelps’ relatives-which makes it a family church. I have no problem with family churches. Communities need them. I do, however, have problems with family churches that spew hate filled venom in every corner of the country and call it God’s work.

I guess I should provide my position: I agree with the Supreme Court’s ruling. We have a right to free speech. While I think to engage in demonstration at the funeral of fallen soldiers (or anyone for that) is in poor taste, it can’t be made illegal and can’t be used as grounds for a civil suit. The Supreme Court’s function is to interpret the Constitution of the United States of America. The Constitution states that American citizens have the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of speech. Ensuring eleven of his thirteen children are practicing attorneys, Fred Phelps ensures that Westboro never crosses the line between unethical behavior to illegal and unconstitutional behavior. As I teach my students, all crime is not deviant and all deviance is not criminal. Westboro’s actions, however, should encourage our local and state officials to pass legislation that limit the proximity of protestors to funerals. Arizona did this when Westboro announced that it would protest at the funeral of Christina Taylor Green, the 9yr old victim in the Tucson massacre. Until legislation is passed at the national level, this is going to be very much a state’s rights issue.

But beyond that, this is about the purpose of Christianity. I will never say, as many have said in interviews/blogs/the like, that the members of Westboro Baptist Church are not Christian. I do believe they love God. I believe that, given their interpretation of Scripture, they believe they are warning a nation of the consequences of living outside of Christ’s love. I also believe they are missing a key element: Christ’s love.

I did not live during the time of Christ but I think I know enough about Him to believe He would not agree with the vile and malicious name calling.

I did not live during the time of Christ but I think I know enough about Him to believe He would not want the sacred space of saying goodbye to a loved one violated by jeers, screams and picket lines.

I did not live during the time of Christ but I think I know enough about Him to believe He would rather that I show all people the same love and compassion He showed me, if I claim to be His disciple.

Westboro Baptist Church has it wrong. They have it all wrong. And if I can round up all my bracelets and head out there, I’m going to tell them just that.






©CMB, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment